Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable AC platform

On 3/23/2017 4:54 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:51:20 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 11:14 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:40:11 -0500, Muggles

Asking for advice and help with a home project is totally 'on topic'
here, and even if I don't know how to do everything other people can do,
at least I try to build something that is designed to meet the need I'm
asking about.

You're no help at all.

The condensate pump is NOt put inside the unit. It is put in the
drain pan so you don't need to empty it, or in many cases just
connected to the drain. It has a small reservoir, and when it gets
full it starts the pump. When it gets empty it shuts the pump off.
They are used extensively on furnace mounter AC units and on
condensing furnaces.

OK I understand what you're describing, now.

This is the problem with this particular machine: The reservoir is at
the upper portion of this AC, and it has a hole in the back of it where
I can and have attached a hose to drain that into a large container. I
could drain it outside if I could find a way to run the hose outside
without drilling a hole in the house. We just don't want to do that
right now. Maybe we will in the future, but the reservoir never backs
up and is always freely draining, so that fluid isn't dripping into the
bottom pan.

That aside, the second problem is when humidity is high, the machine
produces excess condensation that drips into a pan that is at the bottom
of the machine, but has no drainage holes. I'm guessing it's generally
meant to catch sweat that drains from the sides below the main
collection reservoir and is supposed to just evaporate. BUT, our high
humidity in the summer ends up producing too much water for that bottom
pan and it runs over onto the floor.

If the air conditioner is doing it's joband the house is kept closed
up, the humidity very quickly drops to the point condensation is no
longer a problem

In the early summer before it gets REALLY hot, the humidity isn't that
bad so there's really no problem with the excess overflowing from the
bottom. It's later or after a rain that we have the problem.

Initially, just sitting the AC on a plastic lid that could catch that
bottom pan water that overflows worked fine. It would usually
evaporate, but our humidity got worse producing more than the plastic
bottom pan I used could handle, and I'd have to soak up the excess with
towels which got old pretty quick.

Where do you exhaust the heat from the portable air conditioner?

It has a flexible vent you insert into a partially open window similar
to a dryer vent.

The main reservoir isn't really a problem. It's the fluid that overflows
from the bottom of the machine, and there's no access hole to hook up a
tube to even connect a pump too. So, he only thing I could think of for
that bottom pan issue was to make a platform for the AC where the bottom
pan could drain into a large container that could be easily emptied if
it got too full and didn't evaporate quickly enough. That was all I
could come up with on my own to solve the problem until I could figure
out a better solution.

And the commode will do the job, or a tray and condensate pump

I've been looking for hard plastic trays with the dimensions:
26"x20"x4". That gives a little bit of room for finding one that isn't
exactly the same, but close.

I've never had any use for the portable units. I used one in a
computer room for a while, and I swear the motor put out more heat
than the thing removed from the room. It evacuated the moisture out
the exhaust with the captured heat, after a fashion. I gave up on it.

I was surprised how well these two cool the house, and they aren't noisy
like a window unit is when the compressor kicks in. I liked the first
one so well I bought a second one.

So... I could put a pump to drain the bottom pan outside, but I really
need a better design than what I came up with that includes a pump (that
isn't loud when it kicks in) with the design if I'm going to do that.
I'm not even sure how to go about designing it. I'm open to ideas,
though.

Go to Walmart and spend $38 on the commode. take off the backrest and
the seat. Go to Home Despot and by a 1/2" or 3/8" plywood
"handi-panel" and cut it to fit the top of the commode. Run hose from
the outlet into the commode bucket (or just into the tray-coming up)
and get a plastic tray to put on the plywood. A boot tray will do the
job Put a hole in the tray above the commode bucket so the drips drain
into the bucket..Possibly route the drain hose through the tray as
well.
Set the commode at the lowest possible height - or even remove the
adjustable legs and put rubber "cane feet" or chair tip rubbers on the
bottom to protect the floor - you want it as low as you can set it
without the bucket touching the floor. It will look decent and work
very well for an investment of under $50 in the USA. Closer to $75 in
Canada.

OK ... thanks for the idea. I may need to make a second platform for the
#2 portable AC, and will keep this design in mind.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2017 4:55 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:56:22 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 11:21 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:09:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 9:57 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Let's see, what would sensible people prefer? A small drain
hose going to outside or a drain so that it never has to be
emptied? Or a commode sitting in their living space?

A small drain hose going to the outside will not work. I'm not drilling
a hole in my house, AND I'm not going to use a commode because it won't
work, either. It's not heavy duty enough, and not the right dimensions.

I DO know how to work with wood, power tools, screws, various hardware,
and stuff related to building things. So, I built a scrap wood platform
high enough to allow space enough to put a bucket under it, AND sturdy
enough to hold the weight of a heavy portable AC unit. THEN I put a
plastic liner in it that I inserted a drain plug into the center of it.

So, WTF is the problem then?

I was looking for a similar product or idea to what I made that had a
better design.

Using a pump might be a good solution for someone who knows about pumps,
wiring things, and electricity. For example, if you set up a pump to
trigger a switch to cut off the AC when the tub is full, how do you wire
that up to turn off the AC? I don't want to electrocute myself or
damage the AC. I'm not an electrician, or AC repair guru. If I break
it, I don't know how to fix it.

So, I do what I can with the skills I have and build a platform to catch
and drain the excess water into a large basin so I don't have to sop up
the excess water- I can just dump it out of a bucket once every other day.

If the commode can handle a 400 lb ass it can handle the AC
(Bariatric commodes can handle 600 lbs) and even a standard one can
handle 250 lb with no problem. I'm 110% certain your portable AC
weighs a lot less than that - and with minor mods it won't even
resemble a commode.

You are, as usual, being your petulant self. (or petty if you like
that better))

You asked for a factory made solution with a better design. I gave it
to you, yet all you can do is kvetch (as usual) You and Mikey need to
get together!!!

I'm not worried about the weight of the AC by itself. The machine is
tall, and on wheels, and awkward dimensions, and a potty chair/bariatric
commode won't work. It may very well carry the weight of the AC, and
the width, but it won't handle the depth of the machine. I'm not adept
at altering commode tubing, either, whereas, you might be.

How would you modify it to work?

What are the dimensions of youy monster. It has to be a HUGE portable
if it won't fit!!!

The base of the AC approx. 18" x 25". All the potty chair frames I've
seen would be a tight fit.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:11:08 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
I have a couple of portable AC units that I use during the summer, and
wanted to ask if anyone had ever had this issue before.

Initially, the units do great cooling the house and there's a drain on
the back of the machine that I can put a hose in to divert the
condensation into a larger container so I don't have to take it outside
to drain it.

Our summers can get very humid, and the machine eventually ends up
spilling excess condensation into the pan at the bottom of the machine
and it ends up overflowing onto the floor. So, I found a large plastic
container lid that I could use the catch that water, but it still was
producing too much condensation from the humidity. I'd end up having to
go to too much trouble to either sop up that water, or drain it by some
other means.

I decided to make an AC platform about 8 inches off the floor where I
could line it with plastic that has a drain hole in it, so any excess
water would be caught in the plastic liner and drain into a large bucket
below it which would be easy to just dump in the sink (no more sopping
water up or going to a lot of trouble to deal with the excess
condensation). I couldn't find anything from any business that made
something like that already, so I had to design something that was just
functional.

It's not "pretty", but it works!
ac-platform: http://i68.tinypic.com/29bd11j.jpg

Does anyone know of anything already pre-built that serves the same
purpose that can be ordered online? I've looked using many different
search terms and come up with nothing, so I made a rough version of
something functional myself.

If you don't know of anything already pre-made like this, how would you
design it differently to do the same thing?

--
Maggie

Use a funnel attach it to a hose then drain it to a house plant. Or put some dirt and plant some seeds on your platform to grow vegatables
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 10:50:46 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/21/2017 6:53 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 18:11:08 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

[...]

Why not just add a small condensate pump and send the water down a
drain somewhere?

I don't know how I'd do that, but it sounds like a good idea.

--
Maggie

A Sump pump. I say use the water for plants if you are too lazy to water like a lot of people are
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:22:49 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have one of those in the second floor and fortunately for me, the
second floor overhangs the first, so I just drilled a hole in the
carpet and the floor and whatever comes after that and dangled the but
a foot out of the hole. Water doesn't hit the wall and it falls in
the most ignored corner of my yard. But if there were no overhang,
I might have drilled the hole through the side wall, and even on the
first floor, most first floors are a foot about ground level.

I was supposed to check the tube for insects the second season. Maybe
ill do that the third, but it worked fine the second.

Getting the tube through a series of holes when the tube had been
wound in 12" circle required a smidgeon of cleverness, and I will tell
you if you want me too.

Emptying those things woudl be a pain, and knowing me, I'd often be
late.

If it didn't get so humid here, the AC wouldn't have any issues with
excess condensation, so I'm used to checking it about once a day to
empty it.

What if you go away for two days and forget to turn it off?

Sump pumps have auto switches

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:33:11 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 4:54 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:51:20 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 11:14 AM,
wrote:
[...]

How well sealed is that "partially opened" window??? A double hung
(or single hung) window that is not tightly closed generally has a
HUGE air leak between the 2 sashes. What have yoiu done to seal that?
If it is left leaking you WILL have serious humidity problems. That
window needs to be 100% air-tight, or as close to that as possible.
Stuffrinf the gap with sponge rubber is a start, but only a start.
Taping it up with vapor barrier tape helps too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:38:07 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 4:55 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:56:22 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That is a HUGE portable. A drop-arm commode would give you the
required width. Most wide units are 24 inches -X 18 inches - a tight
fit between the arms. Something like this would do the job.
http://www.home-med-equip.com/catalo...isg413bar.html
or this one from wallmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bariatric...Chair/17351549
or this one - on sale - and youn don't need to buy plywood - - -
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bariatric...ount/171663916

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 11:51:21 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 3/23/2017 11:14 AM, wrote:
[...]

If you can open the cover where the filter goes and you can see the evaporator which is the aluminum finned part that feels cold when the AC is running, you should look for dirt buildup. When there is dirt buildup around the area where the evaporator drains into the drain pan, water will overflow the sides of the pan and wind up dripping out in the wrong place. You might try rolling the unit outdoors, getting some HVAC spray cleaner from Lowe's Depot, spray the evaporator with the cleaner, let it soak in then hose the unit out. Careful with the garden hose when you rinse the aluminum fins, the pencil thin stream of water from the sprayer can bend the aluminum fins of the evaporator. A fan spray of water from the spray handle works best. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-Cleans-...ils/1000024695

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-A...-921/206740351

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Foaming-C.../dp/B009YO1FFM

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2017 6:40 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:38:07 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 4:55 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:56:22 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We actually have one like those my husband used after he got out of the
hospital. I measured it after seeing this photo and the AC would be a
real tight fit, but he won't let me use it for the AC since it would
need modification to it and he paid a lot of money for it. He's had
several knee surgeries and still uses it when his knees act up.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2017 11:14 AM, wrote:
[...]

I'll have to see if I can see the evaporator thing you mentioned.
Saving this post so I can refer back to it if I need, too. Thanks!
--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

this is great but I am a 68 year old woman.. No way I CAN FIGURE THIS OUT BUT LOVE THE IDEA..

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-1127165-.htm