Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick woodinterior?

On 3/23/2017 8:45 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 05:05:52 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

Believe me, on the last car, and it was also the last car he is doing, he had much less to start with and rolled out his door looking like it just came out of the showroom.

Like I said - anything is possible - including building an accurate
reproduction from scratch - but that only really makes sense for very
rare cars - not a '32 Chevy. with totally roached fenders, no doors or
front sheet metal and no roof.
Except for rare vehicles, it NEVER makes any financial sense (and yes,
I HAVE restored some old vehicles, including a few "basket cases"
Even at Barrett Jackson auctions, you can usually buy very good to
excellent cars for significantly less than the cost to build - even
strting from a reasonably good junker.

It seldom makes financial sense to restore an old car. That's not
why it's done, generally.

I was watching Velocity. A restorer found a Stutz Bearcat unmodified
and pretty much in running condition hidden away in a garage. They
bought it and just cleaned it up and then entered it in the Bebble Beach
Show and won first prize for not restoring. It ran well considering
it's age. 1921 model.