Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 05:26:13 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 1:29:35 PM UTC-5, Alice Jones wrote:
Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

Cars are not my thing, but I have a friend who could put it back in pristine condition. What the man does is simply amazing. He just finished his last restoration (he is retiring), which was a 32 Ford Cabrolet. When he started all he had was a body, which was in much worse shape than what you are showing here (rusted up 4-6" all around the bottom, no floor pan, no top mechanism, no rumble seat, no hood, no chassis) , and the cowl. He delivered it (drove it over to the owner's house) Sunday and you could comb your hair in the paint job.

I've seen some real magic done too, but there is hardly enough left
of that Chevy to make it worth while. Lots of more complete vehicles
around that even if more expensive to buy, will cost MUCH less to
complete.
That "tub" might be a good repair part for a more badly rusted, more
complete, vehicle.