Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Leaking Pipes Joints

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

In my experience, when the water pressure feeding a home or business gets over 80psi, the safety valve on the water heater can leak because of water hammer. The pressure pulses when water is turned off can exceed 150psi and the valve will leak a bit. The more times it happens, it can deteriorate the valve sealing surfaces. I've had to install Watts pressure regulators in homes and businesses where the water pressure was too high. The regulators are set at 50psi at the factory and that's where I always left it. In a home, the pressure relief valve on the water heater will dribble and the faucet seals plus toilet tank valve can leak. In a business like a restaurant or convenience store, the high pressure and pulses not only damage the pressure relief valve on the water heater but the Sloan flush valves in the restrooms. Also the solenoid valves in ice machines, soft drink dispensing machines, dish washing machines and water cooled refrigeration units can be affected.

We had one customer who owned a night club wind up with a $1,000.00 water bill one month because of a leaking toilet. The dumbass employees didn't inform the owner about it. The water pressure was in excess of 100psi going into the building and we installed a pressure regulator to bring it down to 50psi. I've seen a business that had 120psi water pressure coming in and spikes in excess of 200psi. It was damaging all sorts of things in the convenience store. It turned out that the existing pressure regulator had failed. It was an inch and a half water line coming in and we found the regulator inside a wall under a sink. Me and my brother had a lot of fun fixing that one. ?(•?•)?

[8~{} Uncle Sink Monster

Last month our water heater took a dump, started leaking, I figure
internally.. Lucky I had just stepped into the garage. Shut the ball
valve off and went inside to tell the bride how lucky we were on Super
Bowl Sunday She was on the phone to her friend standing at the
kitchen sick. Heard her say the sink faucet just started dripping and
leaking. I opened it, closed it and it stopped. Told her to buy a new
water heater (jokingly). We have a PEX manifold system. I guess, only
a guess, the pressure reversed and water passed via the faucet
somehow. Replaced the heater and had to open the kitchen faucet after
to let all the air in the lines out. Still don't know why the faucet
dripped, but it hasn't happened since. It was a one time thing. Maybe
something to do with the PEX manifold.