Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:24:34 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:45:55 -0600,
(Neill
Massello) wrote:

Casper wrote:

Alice Jones was heard to mutter:

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg

(*) round back http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg

Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?
And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?

For comparison...
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=39076

So it was *not* a 1928 Durant D-60 4-door Sedan.

Take a look at ANY durant - the closest would be a 28 Star (or
"RUGBY" as it was exported as) but the Durany is a 3 piece tub, not a
stamped steel tub as shown - and the side panel is too long for a 4
door or touring.
I've been around a lot of old cars - and the first thing that came to
mind, with the way the gas tank is mounted, the double "bead" or
"feature line" around the top, the moderate curve to the obviously
stamped steel tub, and the lever shocks peaking through the floor on
the one picture is "32 Chebby". Looked like a Phaeton except the side
panel matches a 2 door body, not a 4.- and all "Chebbies" of that era
did not have a separate roof - so it looks like somebody took off the
roof to make a "topless" two door - not to use the roof elsewheere
because the "riser" which would be left after removing the roof
appears to have been metal-worked out (if indead it WAS a 2dr Chebby)

I'm still wracking my brain to find a better answer.

H'mmm, you just answered a question I had in my head, I saw a 2dr
Chevy sedan and the tub near as I could see, seemed to fit, and I saw
a sedan where the top was off, but there was a wooden post left
attached to the hub.