Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Which oil to lube paper shredder?

On 3/20/2017 2:14 AM, Norm wrote:
replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you
then run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

I spray the width of a piece of paper with a WD-40 type "maintenance
spray" and feed that through from time to time. Mine can get compacted
paper jammed around the spindle at either end of the rotating part,
especially if you accidentally feed paper through at an angle so that it
"folds", but it hasn't jammed since I have been more careful. When it
does jam, it has to be partly dismantled to pry the stuff out with a
sharp pointy object. I don't find that using oil leads to buildup of
debris on the cutters elsewhere, and it certainly makes it sound faster
and smoother to lubricate it every so often (perhaps every few hundred
sheets).