Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default How much current flows through pylons?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 08:56:57 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Graham Nye submitted this idea :
Were they being supplied by on-site transformers or local generators?
The discussion is about the distribution network which seems to skip
3.3 kV and starts at 11 kV.

Either, both or even direct from the supply.

One series of 3.3Kv sets I installed in the 1970's was Ambergate PS,
but that had its own local sub stations, two ss as I recall.

Map here of the distribution grid in that area as it is now with
colour codes for the various voltages etc.
https://www.westernpower.co.uk/docs/...ermal-Map.aspx

No mention of 3.3kV , what ever you worked on isn't in place any more
or wasn't part of the distribution network.
Have to say that as you were unaware that the vast majority of 11kV
and 33kV overhead lines in the UK are carried on wooden poles I'm not
how much credence we can put on your claim as indicated by "Are you
sure it is 11Kv - more likely it will be 3.3Kv." The general opinion
on here is that as far as distribution networks are concerned you are
wrong and even if there has been the odd bit of non std that only you
seem to know about it certainly isn't enough to justify your claim of
"more likely".

G.Harman