Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Does anyone know about aluminum wiring for the electrical systems.

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 14:28:40 -0400, Tina
wrote:

I have had aluminum wire feeding my free-standing range for over 25 years with no problems, but now I am concerned that it still could be a problem if it is connected to a copper screw at the breaker box or the outlet behind the stove.

Could this cause a fire or should I have the wire replaced with copper wire?

The wire has no visible markings of what size it is but I would guess #6 wire.

The breaker box and stove outlet have been there since day one. I am not an electrician and could use an opinion.

Thank you Tina

(My concern came from some new reports on TV about home fires.)

I'm not an electrician either Tina. My house is over 20 years old. It
had aluminum wire for the HVAC condenser and a double oven. I had the
electrician change the wires on the HVAC to copper, because is was an
easy job. The oven is the only thing with aluminum wire now. I
"think" he did an amp draw test on the aluminum with both ovens turned
on high. He said things were good. I'm not worried. Many years ago
there were fires in mobile homes, because they were moved and wires
loosened up or such. It would be expensive for me to have copper run
to the ovens. It ain't broke so I'm not paying. You have good advice
here from folks that know wiring, electrical, etc. I'd say relax and
not worry.
--
'...we don't wanna bring our guns, but ready if it goes there -- Madison Rising