Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does anyone know about aluminum wiring for the electrical systems.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 02:03:00 +1100, Doug Laidlaw
wrote:

On 19/03/17 05:31, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 3/18/2017 11:28 AM, Tina wrote:
I have had aluminum wire feeding my free-standing range for over 25
years with no problems, but now I am concerned that it still could be a
problem if it is connected to a copper screw at the breaker box or the
outlet behind the stove.

Could this cause a fire or should I have the wire replaced with copper
wire?

Are "free-standing" ranges healthier for food storage, more so than
regular ranges?

Do you store food in a range? He calls it a stove later.

Steel has to be cadmium-plated if it comes into contact with aluminum,
but I haven't heard of a mix of aluminum and copper. The problem is
that the two metals set up a miniature electric cell. The Web says yes,
you will have a problem:

CU/AL lugs actually perform better with aluminum wire than they do
with copper wire. The only problem that aluminum wire had was when
used with steel binding screws in 15 and 20 amp side wired devices.
The CO/AL-r device fixed that but the reputation was destroyed and 12
and 10 ga aluminum wire pretty much disappeared. The other issue was
the 1350 alloy, designed for overhead drops that became very brittle.
The AA-8*** alloys are far more forgiving of bending and would not be
a problem. Larger aluminum conductors that go in lugs, not binder
screws, has never been a problem and is the industry standard in lots
of 30a and up wiring.
BTW the "goo" makes people feel better but it has not been
demonstrated that it really does much. I know of no terminal
manufacturer that "requires" it in the instructions although some do
"recommend" it. (meaningless in the code sense).