Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default Strange laptop PS behavior

"bitrex" wrote in message
I have a used Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop, which didn't come with an OEM
power supply. I picked up a 65W "universal" type for it off Amazon, and
it's showing some weird behavior.

First problem is that it often refuses to charge the battery when
connected to line power. Maybe 1 out of 10 times I've plugged it in the
battery charges, the other times the charging LED remains off and the
charging indicator on the screen remains at 0%.

My first thought is an ID ROM chip so it won't work with a "foreign" power
brick - but that should be consistent, either it works or it don't, not
maybe sometimes.