Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does anyone know about aluminum wiring for the electrical systems.

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 14:28:40 -0400, Tina
wrote:

I have had aluminum wire feeding my free-standing range for over 25 years with no problems, but now I am concerned that it still could be a problem if it is connected to a copper screw at the breaker box or the outlet behind the stove.

Could this cause a fire or should I have the wire replaced with copper wire?

The wire has no visible markings of what size it is but I would guess #6 wire.

The breaker box and stove outlet have been there since day one. I am not an electrician and could use an opinion.

Thank you Tina

(My concern came from some new reports on TV about home fires.)

If they have been there for 40 years without a problem DON'T TOUCH
THEM.
My house , built in 1974, has all aluminum wiring and I'm not worried.
The screws are not copper anyway - sometimes they are brass, but more
often plated steel.
I switched all my devices to co-ALR devices last year - except for the
Range and the Drier