Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:14:21 -0400, wrote:

My 2016 KIA Sorento takes thumb drives formatted in FAT32. I am using
a 128g drive with over 7000 mp3's on it. When inserted the first time,
the radio reads it in, which takes several minutes depending on number
of songs. After that, as soon as I open the car door I see the USB
activity light come on, and the music is ready to play as soon as the
key is turned on.

That sounds great.
What gave me doubts is that the jack is 10 inches away instead of on
the face of the radio, like I've seen twice before.

I'm betting on usb charging only.
My Kia has it near the cig-lighter charging sockets,
not near the radio.
John T.

DOH ! .. good thing that I'm not a betting man.
I just checked my owners manual and apparently the usb socket
is indeed an audio input - it's beside the aux audio input jack -
that I never noticed ..
The manual warns to have the usb device removed
when starting the car - not sure how serious a risk it is
or just ass-covering.
John T.

Definitely "ass covering" - but there is always the risk of a voltage
surge when starting that COULD kill your device.. Just like removing a
USB stick from your computer without "ejecting" the media first.