Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Never disassembled lawn mower - what makes the cord go slack?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:55:01 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 17:55:44 -0400, wrote:

When pulling the cord to start, do NOT pull the cord out
to the very end of its travel.

Which is why I said DO NOT shorten the rope!!

I took the top off:
http://i.cubeupload.com/bIuR7B.jpg

And then the coiled-spring assembly:
http://i.cubeupload.com/EUxywq.jpg

Nothing seems wrong other than there is too much friction.
I suspect the spring rusted being left outside all winter.
I suspect the rust is causing the friction.
Mea culpa.

Sprat the "clutch", the pivot/axle and the spring with something like
PB Blaster and work it in Then something like fluid film - or mabee
LPS2 - a light grease to keep it dry and free.