Andy Hall

Default Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:21:07 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

Andrew McKay wrote:

I don't somehow see Joe Public taking the slightest bit of notice.

If I understand the proposals correctly the problem for DIYers is that
it means you will have to produce a certificate or something (like the
FENSA cert. for replacement windows) when you sell your house and, if
you don't, lay yourself open to compensation claims after the event.

So all that would happen with this additional piece of pointless
regulation is that people who want to wire themselves will continue to
do so, and then one of two things will happen when it comes to sale
time.

a) seller will get an electrical inspection done and be able to
produce certificate at his cost whereas now the buyer pays.

b) people will apply for regularisation at the local authority. This
costs typically 20% more than if a Building Notice had been requested
in the first place. However, since there is no VAT on the
regularisation fee, the difference in cost is minimal.

Both of these will be technically breaking the law, but my estimation
is that it will be as widespread as speeding.

With any luck, the government will continue digging in the hole in
which it finds itself and this won't make the statute books due to
lack of priority.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl