Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Never disassembled lawn mower - what makes the cord go slack?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 23:51:35 -0400, wrote:

RUST?. Try this before condeming the pring. Remove the spark plug and
rotate the engine backwards. Does the rope wind in? If so the clutch
id stiff. In either case the starter housing needs to come off. If
just stiff youcan lubricate it. DO NOT shorten the rope!!!

I just saw this, and I agree with you.
http://i.cubeupload.com/EUxywq.jpg

I can see rust on the end of the spring.

I'll put some oil in there and work it back and forth to see if that helps.