Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ground Connection For Furnace And Generator

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 9:24:03 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9:45:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I lost power from the wind storm that hit the Great Lakes area on Wednesday. Last night I
borrowed a generator from a friend to get the furnace going. I simply unhooked the wires
from the breaker to the switch for the furnace and used an extension cord (with the receptacle
end cut off) and wire nutted the hot to hot, neutral to neutral, and ground to ground from
the generator to the wire that goes from the switch to the furnace. Everything worked fine,
other than the fact that the power came back on less than 3 hours later. It figures.

Leave the ground wires attached - as found -
- but add connect the generator cord's ground wire.
Don't over complicate this.
John T.

That's fine for emergency hooks up like I did, but I' like to install a plug
and play set-up.

The one in the video (cord and plug) doesn't "work" because it disconnects
the ground from the furnace once the plug is disconnected from the receptacle.

Greg's 3-way switch and inlet solves that problem quite nicely.

Something like this would be perfect because it could replace the On-Off
switch currently installed on the furnace.

Sorry... I left off the "perfect" link. ;-)

http://haleselectricalservice.com/wp...le-circuit.png