james w lazenby

Default insulation; UFFI

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:09:25 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
wrote:

OK everyone!
I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years

now.....friends of ours are
looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in

1978........anyone
have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they

would be willing to
share?
What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware?
thanks very much everyone in advance
Chris

Brick house? Nice and dry?
Go for it.
Frame house and or damp? Stay away.
UFFI was approoved for dry brick buildings, and installed

in anything.
Problems in the questionable installs gave it a bad name.

Another situation where our government got involved

without checking
its facts properly.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).

8/19/03

I thought your earlier post "Brick house? Nice and dry?"
was going to point out an oxymoron. (Relative to the cavity
behind the outer brick wythe.)

The operative words are likely "Nice and dry," regardless of
the exterior finish, unless you are quoting a truism in
favor of "dry" and against "damp."

You certainly are correct, per the government's
all-too-recent "recall" of its long standing ban on UFFI.
(Without so much as an "oops.") The stuff does turn to
dust. But it requires external force or vibration to cause
disintergration. Reasonably well applied (rather rare with
the all-too-common gypsy installers), the stuff held
together until you disturbed its environment.

Jim
Jim