Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Tow Bar Electrics 7 or 13 pin plug

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 07/03/2017 17:30, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:32:34 +0000, dennis@home

As I said, all my German made cars have this. Switch off the engine and
lights. Move the indicator to the right, and only the right hand side
light and tail light come on. Similarly with the indictor to the left.
Which says to me this is or was a requirement in Germany. Of course at one
time in the UK you needed parking lights too.

You still do!

Not in a 30mph or less limit if you are parked in the direction of
traffic flow. Way back that wasn't the case but an often used
accessory was a clip on light that showed white to the front and red
to the rear that was clipped to the rain gutter of the car on the
offside and roughly in the middle as required.
This meant only the load of one lamp being taken from the battery, and
even if the battery went a bit too flat to start most cars of that era
had a starting handle. As cars progressed the manufacturers built the
ability to leave the off side lamps on for parking, two lamps now but
batteries and charging systems had progressed.
Meanwhile our law changed so you don't actually have to use any lamps
in 30 limits, but I occasionally use the parking lamp facility as a
belt and braces , 30 mph limit ,no pavements, no street lighting

You need to use parking lights by law then.
Also there have to be two red at the rear and two white at the fron that
mark the edges of the vehicle.

The no lights in a 30 zone have a lot of restrictions including not
parking near junctions and having street lights.

The police round here don't consider street lights necessary - just a 30mph
limit.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England