Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tow Bar Electrics 7 or 13 pin plug

On 06/03/2017 20:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/03/2017 12:32, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I believe since 2012, it is a legal requirement for new trailers to
have the reversing light which the 7 pin type N cannot provide so
there's another reason to favour the 13 pin.

Intriguingly our older bike rack has reversing lights in the light
cluster but no way to power them since it has a 7-pin plug fitted.

Why do both standards have separate pins for left and right tail lights.
Aren't both tail lights always powered simultaneously as soon as you
turn the side lights switch on? How do you turn on one side without the
other, to warrant two separate pins in the connector.

They're separately fused on my Merc and my Transit.

Bill

All the cars that I have owned have the left and right side
tail/side-lights separately fused and a single fuse for the
brake-lights. Trailer wiring matches that.

Steve W