Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Free NASA software

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 10:24:18 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 03/02/2017 2:23 PM, wrote:
How did I ever get along without ...???

Pine no more. NASA's new free software catalog delivers all of that and much more, for free:

An app I rewrote to add some features to and clean up the
grad/summer-student mishmash to ORNL code years ago was in the catalog
once't upon a time...almost 20 yr ago by now. There's a lot of "stuff"
there indeed but most has very limited applicability outside its
intended use, but just once't in a while somebody will be able to adapt
something for their use. At least they do make it available rather than
just being lost entirely.

There's a lot to dig through in that catalog, and I really should have posted a link to another site, where I learned about it. If you scroll down in this page you'll see some suggestions of potentially *useful* software from the catalog; links to NASA's 3D model, image and texture collection; and some other useful things. NASA makes a lot of interesting info available for rree:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/02/na...ou-should-try/

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

http://www.techbriefs.com/

It's free, co-published with SAE, and some really interesting stuff shows up every other issue or so. I've gotten several article leads out of it over the years.

--
Ed Huntress