Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free NASA software

How did I ever get along without a 3D model of the Viking Lander or the Wide-Field Infrared Telescope? Ora calculating app for terrestrial landings of my low-orbit launch rocket?

Pine no more. NASA's new free software catalog delivers all of that and much more, for free:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...chnologies-for

Have fun.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 10:24:18 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 03/02/2017 2:23 PM, wrote:
How did I ever get along without ...???

Pine no more. NASA's new free software catalog delivers all of that and much more, for free:

An app I rewrote to add some features to and clean up the
grad/summer-student mishmash to ORNL code years ago was in the catalog
once't upon a time...almost 20 yr ago by now. There's a lot of "stuff"
there indeed but most has very limited applicability outside its
intended use, but just once't in a while somebody will be able to adapt
something for their use. At least they do make it available rather than
just being lost entirely.

There's a lot to dig through in that catalog, and I really should have posted a link to another site, where I learned about it. If you scroll down in this page you'll see some suggestions of potentially *useful* software from the catalog; links to NASA's 3D model, image and texture collection; and some other useful things. NASA makes a lot of interesting info available for rree:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/02/na...ou-should-try/

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

http://www.techbriefs.com/

It's free, co-published with SAE, and some really interesting stuff shows up every other issue or so. I've gotten several article leads out of it over the years.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/03/2017 11:05 AM, wrote:

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

http://www.techbriefs.com/

It's free, co-published with SAE, and some really interesting stuff
shows up every other issue or so. I've gotten several article leads
outof it over the years.

I subscribed for 20(?) yr but didn't renew it when quit the consulting
gig; replaced all those journals with the ag equivalents after returning
to the family farm...any more, that's about or maybe more advanced than
what NASA's doing...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 1:29:39 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 03/03/2017 11:05 AM, wrote:

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

http://www.techbriefs.com/

It's free, co-published with SAE, and some really interesting stuff
shows up every other issue or so. I've gotten several article leads
outof it over the years.

I subscribed for 20(?) yr but didn't renew it when quit the consulting
gig; replaced all those journals with the ag equivalents after returning
to the family farm...any more, that's about or maybe more advanced than
what NASA's doing...

--

_National Hog Farmer_ is well-regarded. g Then there's "Pork -- Be Inspired." But that's about eating them...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 3:56:08 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 03/03/2017 12:55 PM, wrote:
On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 1:29:39 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

I subscribed for 20(?) yr but didn't renew it when quit the consulting
gig; replaced all those journals with the ag equivalents after returning
to the family farm...any more, that's about or maybe more advanced than
what NASA's doing...

--

_National Hog Farmer_ is well-regarded.g Then there's "Pork -- Be
Inspired." But that's about eating them...

The latter is what they're for.. But, no piggies here; outside just
having a couple for own use it's either "all-in" or "out" as the
middle-sized guy simply can't compete with Seaboard and their ilk any
longer unless, perhaps, one were near a major metro area where could do
the cosmopolitan thing with the want to know where came from crowd but
just not enough numbers of people out here for that kind of thing to work..

--

It's funny you should bring that up, because I was just thinking today about my grandfather's tiny farm -- entirely within the city limits of Vineland, NJ -- which was mostly a decorative tree nursery for landscaping rich peoples' property but where he also raised chickens, Jenny Lind cantaloupes and some other specialty fruits and vegetables exclusively for the premium restaurant trade in New York and Philadelphia. The cantaloupes were wrapped individually in salt hay and packed into oak barrels (this was the '20s and '30s), then rushed to express trains going to New York and Philly.

The Whole Foods customers would have been a great market for him. Fortunately, the fancy restaurants were all he could handle from his little acreage, and they kept going right through the Depression.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/03/2017 11:05 AM, wrote:

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

http://www.techbriefs.com/

Maybe this will interest them: "A new space race for the massive mineral deposits present in a distant alien rock has been sparked after NASA announced plans to explore an asteroid filled with GOLD"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/nasa...teroid-9635613

(Source: Daily Mirror)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 7:31:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 03/03/2017 11:05 AM, wrote:

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

http://www.techbriefs.com/

Maybe this will interest them: "A new space race for the massive mineral deposits present in a distant alien rock has been sparked after NASA announced plans to explore an asteroid filled with GOLD"

--

Gunner is digging out his gold pan as we speak...

--
Ed Huntress

BMP to DXF free software plasma777 Metalworking 1 August 2nd 09 07:30 PM
Free software Don Foreman Metalworking 6 October 28th 08 10:48 PM
free 3D cad software? John Woodworking 37 June 14th 06 02:33 AM
Any free CAD software DavidKendall UK diy 16 May 27th 06 07:48 AM
Free CAD/CAM software Mack Metalworking 2 February 29th 04 05:11 AM