Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Next Mail To Dropbox

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 8:33:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Dropbox is a cheap (free), fast and convenient way to send large files one-off anywhere without worrying about mailbox capacities. Full stop.

Was. People on here used to use it. But now every link to the \public folder is no good. You cannot go back and edit all your posts and change the URLs. Seriously, I am about to just pay for some damn hosting but then when I think that then I go "Why ?". Drawings of some harebrain schem(atic)that I thunk up on a Friday night after several beverages of my choice ? Why ?

The ASC files that Spice uses can be posted right here in text form. There are fora out there for other things, like photos. In fact I don't really even need that so much.

As far as I am concerned, Dropbox just put themselves out of business.

I know this is just a rant, but I am seriously sick and tired of losing abilities. Every damn software "upgrade" costs something. In Win 98SE I had a shortcut to search only my \music directory and any keyword appearing in the title or artist would come up in a matter of milliseconds. That is because the search was restricted. Then I got XP and the thing has to search five harddrives n ****. In Vista I can't even get it to do a file search like that. I had Win 7 for a time and that **** didn't even let me into my own \sendto directory. What do you mean access denied ? Whose PC is this anyway ?

Every newer piece of software seems like that. They either delete features or hide them. Web browsers, Acrobat reader, everything, I sit there with "OK, how do I do ____" and never find an answer. Either the feature I want is well hidden or simply removed.

Same with AOL. The most expensive end user ISP around, they took my webspace away, they took my Usenet access away. Guess what happened - I quit paying them $54 a ****ing month. Yup, that is what it used to cost for AOL DSL.

At this point, I will pay ANYONE else than Dropbox for hosting. I post in many fora and if I have a link to something I want it to stay the same forever. Well, as long as I pay the bill of course.

I appreciated Dropbox. Free and all, what more can you ask ? But now some yuppie apparently bought the place and has big ideas.

Improve my security ? Don't you think I have the damn brains to figure out that when I publish the URL to one of my PUBLIC files to know that it is PUBLIC ? Are people that stupid ?

Maybe they are. Look at new cars, they got ones that will steer themselves back into a lane if you wander outside the lines, and another that will put on the brakes automatically, just in case you did not look where you're going and were about to slam into a truck or whatever at 80 MPH. I think if you are stupid enough to drive into something at 80 MPH you deserve a Darwin award.

In the old days we used to watch where we were going. We were not texting on the phone, shaving or doing our hair or putting on makeup. We understood that we were piloting a two ton moving vehicle and the responsibility that entailed.

This world is really getting to be too much. It is like it is adapting to stupid people who really should have died from some misadventure or whatever..