w_tom

Default outlet box "grounded" to neutral 1940's ?

Grounding an outlet to a cold water pipe is how one in a
bathtub can be killed. Grounds to water pipe must only be to
remove current. Safer to disconnect that neutral to ground in
the box AND only use two wire outlets - and install a GFCI in
the breaker box for that circuit. Why a GFCI in the breaker
box? Because you don't know how many more times an earlier
owner hated humanity - doing only what was convenient rather
than what is required and necessary to protect human life.

Do not connect neutral to ground in outlet box. Do not
ground to water pipes. Some locations so worry about this as
to require steel bathtubs to be grounded by a dedicated ground
wire from bathtub to breaker box - so that any current leaking
into the bathtub will be immediately removed by a dedicated
ground wire.

Speedy Jim wrote:
SkyBlue wrote:
Ah! I should have caught the "fixture" part.
Yes, a grounding conductor run in the wall to the Cold water supply
would help. You could verify that it is an effective ground by
connecting a test lamp (~60 watt) from the Hot wire to the ground.

Technically, using a water pipe so far from the service entrance
is a violation today, but I would certainly prefer it to nothing...