Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Holy Crap, this is one huge speaker.....

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 22:17:57 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Seriously, I have heard of using AM transmitter tubes for audio amps.
I don't know what those tubes are numbered, or how much power they output,
but I know that many AM radio stations have power output in the
thousands of watts range. But to use that kind of tube would require
custom output transformers that would likely mimic the pole transformers
used to feed our homes....

A pole pig would wave been useless, since they weren't designed to
pass DC, and they aren't center tapped on the primary. On top of that,
they would have a horrible frequency response, because they were
designed to operate at 60Hz.

Thats right, no center tap.... Back to the drawing board

A 25KW, plate modulated AM transmitter would produce 12.5 KW of
audio but you would have needed to a hundred amps of three phase 480VAC
to power it. Something I doubt that was available on that farm, or from
portable generators. You could move the modulator from a 5KW AM
transmitter, but the modulation transformer weighed over a ton. We had
to abandon one from a Gates transmitter that was bought from WQBQ for
spate parts. Sadly, it was only a couple years old, and one of the
premium replacements from Peter Dahl.

Too bad you abandoned that transformer. You should have rented a skid
loader or farm tractor with a loader. My 1959 farm tractor, which is
small compared to modern ones, lifts round bales of hay all the time.
They weight anywhere from 650 lbs to 1800 lbs. It struggles on those
1800 lb ones, but a larger tractor could easily handle a ton or more. (I
dont buy or make bales larger than 1500 lbs).

And just for historic value, the original 1969 Woodstock concert ran
Somewhere between 3500 watts to 12,000 watts, using Mcintosh mi350
monoblock tube amps for their PA system. The article below seems to
conflict whether it was 3,500W or 12,000W.
Either way, that PA system had to cover a very large area, and
apparently it did the job.

Those Mcintosh amps were not designed for that type of service.

I thought that same thing, but they apparently can and did handle that
abuse, The Greatful Dead,"Wall of Sound". Was entirely run from Mcintosh
MC3500, Tube amps, and the MC2300 solid state amps, having a total of
around 28,000 watts. Not the intended use, but they held up....

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100811

These Mcintosh MC3500 power amps have EIGHT power output tubes
6LQ6/6JE6B. These amps had an output of 350W. (mono).

The RCA TTU-1/TTU-25 UHF TV transmitters used 16 6146 tubes in
parallel for a video amp with a response from DC to over five MHz. It
was a 'Distributed Amplifier'.

Im not real familiar with transmitters, but I know that tube is used in
Ham transmitters and is similar to a 6L6 (or am I thinking 6LQ6?).