Posted to sci.electronics.repair
R2D4 R2D4 is offline

Default electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short periodof time

On 02/22/2017 11:27 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

PS: I can't think that they're making that much money on these. I read
the reviews and *many* folks are having similar issues. If a solution
isn't found for the above, I'd appreciate recommendations for a brand/
model that will last. This definitely isn't like the blanket I had
while growing up 25 years ago; that one lasted for 15 years with no issues.

Just to update that I gave up on trying to find the right electric
whatever that will work correctly and I am currently trying out down and
down alternative comforters. This also seems to be an area needing
study and it's not as simple as just picking out one without knowing
what you need beforehand. However, I'm very close to a reasonably
costing winner so my problems are almost solved.