Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short period oftime

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak. I was going to return this one too, but before I do, I
wanted to ask if anyone knew of a solution to repair this? Almost seems
like there is a circuit issue somewhere, maybe in the controller, but
who knows. If it were a cheap repair, I'd just keep the blanket after
the low cost repeatable fix. Thank you.

PS: I can't think that they're making that much money on these. I read
the reviews and *many* folks are having similar issues. If a solution
isn't found for the above, I'd appreciate recommendations for a brand/
model that will last. This definitely isn't like the blanket I had
while growing up 25 years ago; that one lasted for 15 years with no
issues.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:27:49 AM UTC-5, R2D4 wrote:
[...]

Same here. My wife and I have used the dual control Sunbeams, and they do indeed get weaker over time. I'm kicking myself for not taking a resistance check of the wiring part when new and comparing to the old. The problem is that the new blanket uses a different connector than the prev gen, so swapping the controller can't be used as a diagnosis tool.

Our Sunbeams normally lasted a few seasons getting weaker each year. Adding a second comforter on top of the regular bedspread is a good way to trap heat.

This year we bought a dual control heated mattress pad instead of the blanket and I'm sure it'll suffer the same fate. I no longer put it on anything above 4 (out of 10) and never use the admittedly handy preheat feature because it also runs the blanket or pad at 10 for half an hour before dropping to the preset temp. In any case, manually preheating at 4 and dropping it to L when I get in bed is enough to take the chill out of the sheets. I'm hoping that not using the automatic preheat and adding another comforter on top will extend the life. Time will tell I guess.

When this one craps out/gets too weak I'll do a post mortem, but I suspect it uses resistance wire which changes resistance over time. If the problem is that, then there's no fixing it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/22/2017 04:27 PM, R2D4 wrote:
[...]

DID YOU KNOW THAT SITRE MAGANA LIKES TO PLAY WITH HIS OWN ****?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:27:45 -0500, R2D4
wrote:

[...]

This might be a good excuse to buy a kill-o-watt meter.

Also you could use a regular ohm or volt meter clipped to a hat pin --
well I guess it's hard to find a hat pin, but you couldl use a corsage
pin == with a nice enlarged head and I think you could puncture the
insulatio at various places along the route until you find a spot where
it's not proportional. I don't this would cause any visible harm or
any danger. (once you take out the pin, that is.) Then you could cut
into the blanket and figure out what's going on. Or maybe, the litle
devils is in the control box. Might be even easer to debug and disarm.

When I first started on electrical repairs, not counting the Lionel
train, it was the family's '52 Hudson. The battery was dead every
morning. All I had for test equipemnt was an AC cord, a socket, a 40
watt lighbulb, and an icepick. But it was enough.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/23/2017 08:48 PM, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

SO IT'S A GOOD THING THAT PETER WRECK DOESN'T NEED AN ELECTRIC BLANKET.
WHEN EVER HE GETS COLD HE CALLS OVER SITRE MAGANA AND THEY GET UNDER THE
COVERS AND PETER SAYS THAT UNLIKE AN ELECTRIC BLANKET IT DOESN'T USE ANY
ENERGY AND AN ELECTRIC BLANKET ALSO DOESN'T GIVE A GOOD BLOW JOB LIKE
SITRE MAGANA.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

Join the club. I've had 4 or 5 (yeah I'm a sucker for Sunbeam
blankets) but don't want to be too critical of Sunbeam - they
have replaced several under warranty and replaced one totally.

Thee typical symptoms are that they do tend to get weaker over time, but
some die totally. The weakening may be related to the PTC (Positive
Temperature Coefificnt) of resistance of the wire used as the heating
element. It's self limiting so claimed to be safer since even
scrunching up the blanket should not result in an excessive temperature
rise. However, the change in resistance may not be totally reversible.
I doubt using preheat makes a big difference.
Since the power to the heater is pulse width modulated (around an 80
second cycle - yes, that long!), running at lower heat doesn't
necessarily help either.

When they totally die, I assume it's a bad connection issue, possibly
at the "module" - the wart attached to the connector, which has a
couple of discrete components inside and nothing else.

And I do now record the current used when new. ;-)

Google "Sunbeam blanket problems" or something like. There's a lot
out there.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 3:48:20 PM UTC-5, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
writes:

[...]

I haven't done any real testing Sam, but just spitballing I'd guess that the more the Sunbeam is used, the faster it becomes inert. So, if run at lower temp settings, less heat/time will be supplied by the blanket and the longer it will last (?). I suspect it's decline is not linear, so keeping the temp down by half may quadruple the life..

At least that's my theory and we'll see how this new Sunbeam mattress pad holds up. We had two blankets before this heated pad (both Sunbeam) and both went *very* weak before being replaced. Neither showed any error code at the controller nor went completely cold, so neither suffered a broken wire anywhere. But even at level ten they barely got warm.

This new Sunbeam heated mattress pad we picked up last fall will be used no more than a max of 4 out of 10 (no preheat which does a level 10 for 30 min).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

That's quite possible. All I was suggesting is that forgoing Preheat
(which is my favorite mode!) may not do that much comparing it's 20
minutes with the rest of the 10 hours on period even if at the 4/10 setting.

Depending on size, the normal current when in the on part of the cycle
is order of 0.5 and 1.5 A. However, since the current decreases as
it heats, it's not really possible to provide exact values. But
measuring and recording it when cold at the start of each season could be
useful.

When first turned on, regardless of whether Preheat is selected, some
of these (or all) turn on at a constant (though possibly not full)
power for a minute or two before the PWB kicks in.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

We're preheating at 4 and turning down to L before turning off the TV. Ours will never be above 5 unless it starts going weak like the other ones we've had. There is a big difference in initial comfort if the pad or blanket is preheated (even at a low temp) with a comforter over the top of the regular bedspread. For aesthetic reasons, my wife has a half comforter that covers the lower half of the bed, and there is a distinct difference in temp between the lower half and upper when first getting in. With a second comforter on top, you don't need to go above half for preheating if the blanket is still fairly new.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:27:45 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak.

I bought an electric blanket several years ago that did the same thing.
I'm not sure what brand it was. From what i have read online, this seems
to be a common problem with most of all electric blankets, regardless
who makes them.

I wont buy another electric blanket. I just adjusted the vents in the
house so more heat comes to my bedroom, and bought a nice quilt.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:27:45 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak.

I bought an electric blanket several years ago that did the same thing.
I'm not sure what brand it was. From what i have read online, this seems
to be a common problem with most of all electric blankets, regardless
who makes them.

I wont buy another electric blanket. I just adjusted the vents in the
house so more heat comes to my bedroom, and bought a nice quilt.

It's not a matter of insufficient room heating; at -10F outside I can get my upstairs to 85F if I was so inclined, plus there are an infinite number of possibilities for space heating these days, including pseudo fireplaces with heat for those with older more drafty homes.

My second floor is about 1600 sq ft, and I like to keep the temp down at night to save heating costs in the NE U.S. and the wife and I like sleeping in a cool room.

The problem is that I don't like getting into a 62F bed when my feet are already cold from the day. An electric blanket or heated mattress pad allows a nice warm bed to get into without heating the entire second floor of my home. Lots of people like these things. Too bad they can't perfect them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/22/2017 11:27 AM, R2D4 wrote:
[...]

Just to update that I gave up on trying to find the right electric
whatever that will work correctly and I am currently trying out down and
down alternative comforters. This also seems to be an area needing
study and it's not as simple as just picking out one without knowing
what you need beforehand. However, I'm very close to a reasonably
costing winner so my problems are almost solved.