Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default American mailboxes

On 02/25/2017 09:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 8:10:45 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:49:34 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/22/2017 04:36 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
A place above the tree line would be good.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...eak-MT-6-10-13

A nice bungalow on St. Mary Peak would do it. The third photo shows the
luxurious bathroom with all the modern conveniences.

On one trip up, I passed a guy resting by the side of the trail, not an
unusual site. About a quarter mile later, I met a woman who asked me if
I'd seen a man and described him. When I said he was just taking a break
she informed me he was a smoker and she had dragged him up so he could
have a preview of what emphysema would be like. 9000' will do that to
you.

Dunno what point you guys are trying to make, but I'm seriously
considering invading your country.

The best scenery we have is in Bowman's area or farther south in
the Four Corners
area. The mountain ranges back east aren't nearly as spectacular.
Way too many trees there.

Ya know, some of us think trees are a good thing. They provide welcome
shade, look great in the fall, and hide an awful lot of boring dirt.

Yeah, but they aren't much for scenery. We used to refer to the
'universal view' in the Adirondacks. Hike up to the top of one of the
4000 footers and if you could find an overlook with a break in the
trees, you saw a sea of more trees.

Marcy, the highest NY peak does have a good view as do a few others.
Most didn't really have a treeline but when he surveyed the area in the
1870's Verplanck Colvin burned off some ofthe summits to get lines of
sight and they never recovered.

Washington in NH, Mansfield in VT, and Greylock in MA also have nice
views. Unfortunately Washington has a road and tram railway to the top,
Mansfield has a ski lift, and Greylock has a road.

I can't speak for the view from the highest peak in the chain, Mitchell
in NC. Between the trees and dense fog I could have been anywhere.

I do miss the rich variety of the hardwood forests. Around here, if it
isn't a douglas fir it's a ponderosa pine with a few cedar and larch
here and there. Fall colors run to yellow from the larch and cottonwood
although there are some maples and oaks that were planted in the city.

What I don't miss is the rich variety of libs. I left NH in '88 when
they started creeping in from MA. I'd left NYS in '71. There is no hope
for that state until the rising sea puts Sodom on the Hudson underwater.