Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default electric blanket getting significantly weaker over short periodof time

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:27:45 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

I am on my second Sunbeam electric blanket this Winter and it is doing
the same thing as the first one I had-- starts off for a couple of weeks
working correctly, then spends a week getting weaker and weaker where I
have to turn up the controller all the way and even then the heating is
uneven and weak.

I bought an electric blanket several years ago that did the same thing.
I'm not sure what brand it was. From what i have read online, this seems
to be a common problem with most of all electric blankets, regardless
who makes them.

I wont buy another electric blanket. I just adjusted the vents in the
house so more heat comes to my bedroom, and bought a nice quilt.

It's not a matter of insufficient room heating; at -10F outside I can get my upstairs to 85F if I was so inclined, plus there are an infinite number of possibilities for space heating these days, including pseudo fireplaces with heat for those with older more drafty homes.

My second floor is about 1600 sq ft, and I like to keep the temp down at night to save heating costs in the NE U.S. and the wife and I like sleeping in a cool room.

The problem is that I don't like getting into a 62F bed when my feet are already cold from the day. An electric blanket or heated mattress pad allows a nice warm bed to get into without heating the entire second floor of my home. Lots of people like these things. Too bad they can't perfect them.