Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Dual SIM issues

On 24/02/17 17:05, micky wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 07:14:05 +1100, Clifford
Heath wrote:

On 22/02/17 11:03, wrote:
I had a BLU DASH JR with H2O and Redpocket (both ATT resellers with $100/yr
plans) until ATT dropped 2G. So I got a BLU R1 HD and only H2O worked when I
got it on Saturday. I called redpocket and they said to call Tuesday.
Today they got it to work. THen I realised H2O stopped working.
But they BOTH worked on the DASH JR. CLues?

Most "Dual SIM" phones are like that. The 2nd SIM only works on 2G,
only one SIM can connect to a modern network.

More things I should have known in advance**.

So if one SIM is removed, will the other do 3G, regardless of which SIM
is left in?

I think so, but it probably depends on the phone.

The advertising for the phone will often say "2nd SIM, standby only",
which is the give-away that it's only 2G or worse.

Or does it have to be in slot #1?

Again, it probably depends on the phone. Only one can log in
to the 3/4G network. I think that a true dual SIM phone needs
to duplicate parts of the networking hardware so it acts like
two phones; but I am not an expert in such things.

(I just got the second SIM in the mail today, but I can't use it until
mhy trip starts in 2 weeks.)

I wanted a dual SIM phone so I can get SMS (and possible family
emergency calls) while using local data. In any place where 2G
has been shut down, that doesn't work, so I might as well just
have a single SIM phone, and switch over each evening to get
delayed SMS.

**Actually today is far better to learn this than after my trip. It's
not in advance of buying the phone but it's in advance of using this
part.

Well, I've just bought a new dual-SIM phone, but not because it
was dual-SIM.