Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default American mailboxes

How do they know the difference between the flag for them to collect,
and the flag for you to collect?

The flag for them to collect is red (and its appearance is probably
regulated by the Office of the Postmaster General). On my mailbox,
the one for me is yellow.

Are they manually erected then? I can't se how the box distinguishes
otherwise, I thought it was a weight sensor.

The flag to collect is on the top. You put it up when you put in mail
for pickup, the mailman puts it down when he does.

The yellow flag is on the side. It turns up when the mailman opens the
door, you put it back down after you collect the mail. Not every box
has the yellow flag.
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Mb.../dp/B00OOCBCWK