Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Electrical

In article ,
says...

I'd NEVEr tape a wirenut! My dad would have skinned me if I did!!.
He'd say" if you are not 100% sure it's right, a piece of tape ain't
go'nna fix it!!!

I do have to admitt to a special case for me to tape a wire nut. Wiring
up motors where there is a lot of viberation I sometimes did tape up the
wire nuts. Two reasons. They may viberrate losses, but mainly because
being in close contact with the metal junction box it may take longer
for it to wear through. Tha this the only time I ever taped any in
thousands I installed when working.

That is another case where 2 different sizes of wires may be used. Often
the motor wires would be smaller than the feeder wires on those motors.

Just lay the wires next to each other and screw the nut on, then give it
a good tug.