Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Removal of old window putty???

Also, old window caulk can contain asbestos
http://www.greenstreamenvironmental....-your-windows/
John T.

My understanding is that asbestos is relatively safe to work with
in a non-friable (not a dust) state. Particulate masks are always a good idea,
as the paint may be lead based as well...

Badly deteriorated putty or caulk is friable - when you start to
mess with it. especially using the multi-tool
Also - a responsible worker will not only protect himself with
properly rated respirator - but do his utmost to prevent the
microscopic fibres from dispersing into the room and vents & such.
John T.

Asbestos can be wet so as to minimize dust. I guess I could/should have
been more clear I was basing my comments as a DIYer working within
one's own home, not as a business.
Whole new level of care to be invoked if a contractor...IMO,
best left to pros that specialize in this field...cost can be prohibitive...

The DIY homeowner needs to be aware of the potential hazards.
Then, he can make his-version of an intelligent decision -
which, as we all know - will be to ignore all safety precautions
completely.
Asbestos in the home is don't ask / don't test / don't tell
for most homeowners, and, unfortunately many contractors.
John T.