Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removal of old window putty???

On Wednesday, November 10, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, mattg wrote:

use a heat gun, (essentially a hi-temp hair dryer)
or --very-- carefully with a propane torch. either one
will get the glass hot enough to crack it, so be careful.
also, try not to breathe the vapors.

be patient, and let the heat source do the work.

Be aware, too, there are probably glaziers' points (little metal fasteners) under
the putty, that may have to be pried out of the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the problem with some old double hung sash windows.
I tried the heat gun method with some success but still managed
to crack a few panes not from excessive heat but from pressure
applied scraping the putty out. I found that the glass was not
necessarily evenly supported by the rebate on the other side.
I've switched to using a multi tool with oscillating saw blades.
With a little care this is a little easier and quicker, but patience
is the key word whatever the method.

use a heat gun, (essentially a hi-temp hair dryer)
or --very-- carefully with a propane torch. either one
will get the glass hot enough to crack it, so be careful.
also, try not to breathe the vapors.
be patient, and let the heat source do the work.

Be aware, too, there are probably glaziers' points (little metal fasteners) under
the putty, that may have to be pried out of the wood.

Also, old window caulk can contain asbestos

http://www.greenstreamenvironmental....-your-windows/

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:37:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that asbestos is relatively safe to work with in a non-friable (not a dust) state. Particulate masks are always a good idea, as the paint may be lead based as well...
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Badly deteriorated putty or caulk is friable - when you start to
mess with it. especially using the multi-tool
Also - a responsible worker will not only protect himself with
properly rated respirator - but do his utmost to prevent the
microscopic fibres from dispersing into the room and vents & such.
John T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 05:24:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Didn't you hear that the sky is falling?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article vt1mac15mm0ciu2p7sclul4vqijed0dqrb@
4ax.com, says...

[...]

The real gotcha is that you have to dispose of
it as a hazmat, you can't just throw it in the
trash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Asbestos can be wet so as to minimize dust...I guess I could/should have been more clear (or refrained from any comment at all)...I was basing my comments as a DIYer working within one's own home, not as a business...Whole new level of care to be invoked if a contractor...IMO, best left to pros that specialize in this field...cost can be prohibitive...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Also, old window caulk can contain asbestos
http://www.greenstreamenvironmental....-your-windows/
John T.

My understanding is that asbestos is relatively safe to work with
in a non-friable (not a dust) state. Particulate masks are always a good idea,
as the paint may be lead based as well...

Badly deteriorated putty or caulk is friable - when you start to
mess with it. especially using the multi-tool
Also - a responsible worker will not only protect himself with
properly rated respirator - but do his utmost to prevent the
microscopic fibres from dispersing into the room and vents & such.
John T.

Asbestos can be wet so as to minimize dust. I guess I could/should have
been more clear I was basing my comments as a DIYer working within
one's own home, not as a business.
Whole new level of care to be invoked if a contractor...IMO,
best left to pros that specialize in this field...cost can be prohibitive...

The DIY homeowner needs to be aware of the potential hazards.
Then, he can make his-version of an intelligent decision -
which, as we all know - will be to ignore all safety precautions
completely.
Asbestos in the home is don't ask / don't test / don't tell
for most homeowners, and, unfortunately many contractors.
John T.

Removal of old window putty??? [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 20th 17 09:26 PM
Putty removal Gib Bogle[_3_] UK diy 6 November 24th 13 07:49 PM
Insulating sticky putty removal help please [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 November 30th 12 01:43 AM
Poster putty removal...WD40? O.B. Juan Home Repair 1 August 23rd 06 02:57 AM
Silly Putty Stain Removal Danduckeli Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 08:04 AM