Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Electrical

On 02/20/2017 12:41 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Maybe others here would know but I was always taught the just line up
the bare ends of the wires, inset then in a wire nut and twist until tight.

A few years ago I lost a connection due to me probably not getting the
wires lined up.

A friend who does electrical work told me he always grabs the end and
twists with a pliers and makes sure all is secure before putting on the
wire nut.

Any one here know if there is any reason not to do that?

I have not seen any info on the twist with the pliers , but some twist
by hand. I always just line the wires up parallel and put the wire nut
on. Either is recommended by the makers of the ones I use. Other
companies may differ in their instructions. When done, give the wire
nuts a good tug to see if they come off.

Lately I have been using the WAGO Lever nuts. They cost a little more,
but are so much easier for me to work with. Nothing to twist and if the
correct wire sizes are used and stripped correctly, not much for human
error.

http://www.wago.us/wago/press/press-...etail-1122.jsp

There are also some Wall Nuts that just push in. I use them for some
things like ballasts replacement in lights. While they may be ok for
the higher current applications, I don't use the push ins for that( much
over 1 amp of current. Just my opinion on that.

Never even heard of those WAGO. Sure they work but I prefer wire-to-wire
connection. I'm sure I had just been a bit careless and not actually
tugged on the connection.

My house was built in 1898 and not wired until 1932.

Fortunately it was all BX and rigid conduit.

What prompted me to re-wire as one of the original connections finally
failed, It must have gotten hot enough for the solder to melt or perhaps
was poorly soldered to begin with.

Almost all of the original wiring has been replaced and many new
circuits added. The house averaged one outlet per room.