Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default What's the latest in Desoldering gadgets?

Back in the 70s, I used a red bulb with a special plastic tip that did
not melt. They were cheap and did a fair job. Then there was solder
wick. That worked well on PC boards, but not real well on terminal
strips and tube sockets. Plus is was fairly costly.

So, what's the latest in desoldering gadgets?
I need to get something for recapping, and am not sure what to buy. I
see both of the (above) are still sold.

One other thing, I should pick up some pot and switch cleaner. I know
this has greatly changed due to clean air laws. Where do I even begin
getting something that works well, and is not overly priced? (Brand
name)? I hope they have not made useless cleaners, like they have done
with auto products. (I remember when carb cleaner actually cleaned!!! )

Since it appears that most online stores have a rather large minimum
order as well as high shipping fees, I am limited to Radio Shack, unless
there is some smaller online source that sells in small quanties, or
maybe ebay. But buying online I need to know what I am ordering ahead of
time.

I'll be using this almost entirely on 40 to 60 year old tube type
electronics.