George E. Cawthon

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

D O G wrote:

Maybe the rule
should be that if one hears himself referred to as stupid
fairly often (spouse excluded), then stupid it probably is.

Well, a person who is both stupid and incompetent should not do anything.
But if the person posesses only one of the two qualities, then he has a good
chance of geting the job done.

When I started the thread, I openly declared that I was incompentent, but I
did not agree to also being stupid :-) As of now the job is completed, the
blower has been working perfectly for about 30 hours.

I did not get electricuted, did not break my legs, did not install the
motor/wheel in the wrong direction, did not wire it incorrectly, did not
knock off the wheel's weight. And it was not that hard either, common sense
and careful approach.

What is actually interesting is that some of the advise I got here may have
been incorrect. Five motor resellers independently from each other suggested
a 3 speed GE motor as a replacement to my 4 speed motor. They all told me
that this is what GE recommends as a replacement for my motor and that the
system only uses 2 speeds anyway - one for A/C and the other one for
Furnace.

I went with their recommendation, the motor cost me $60 (including
capacitor) and so far it's absolutely fine.

Thanks a lot to everybody who responded and provided help, advice and
insight.

Didn't mean to imply you were either, just a generalization
to identify someone who shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen
knife. But I disagree with you analysis of success. If you
are either stupid or incompetent, it is unlikely you will
succeed. If you are really stupid, you won't take advice,
you can't learn, think you already know it, and you will
fail. If you are incompetent you just plain can't use the
knowledge you already supposedly have and won't get it right
(at least most of the time it won't be right). Don't equate
stupid with uneducated. The person that doesn't know much
and is willing to learn, particularly if they have a gift
for problem solving and an intuitive understanding will
likely succeed.