CBHvac

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

"Oscar_lives" wrote in message
news:rAy0b.201306$o%2.92925@sccrnsc02...

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2003, D O G wrote:

As much as it pains me to agree with CBHvac (trust me, we have
some "history") I do 100% in this situation.

--
TP

Tommy, would you please give CBHvac a nice hug and kiss?

You two look cute together...

I think you havea different version of cute...
you know whats gonna happen if he hugs me, and God help if his lips pucker
up..

kjpro

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
What caused the problem?

Well if it's like the one the other day..........
..........someone put in a 1/3 hp in place of a 3/4 hp motor........Ooops.

And to the OP, call a competent, Licensed, Insured, Trained HVAC Tech to
resolve your problem!!

If it was soooooooo easy, you wouldn't be asking all the questions now would
you??

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

kjpro

"CBHvac" wrote in message
No...its not that simple...what speed was the old motor set at? For cool?
For heat? Low, Med Low, MedHigh, or high?

Did it have 6 or 7 wires off it? What if the new one has one more, or one
less? You know, some do NOT come with wiring directions. Shaft size? Shaft
length?

Mounting? Diameter? LOL

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

kjpro

"CBHvac" wrote in message
When I disconnected the motor I made sure to write down which wire
represented what speed and where on the board it was connected. When I

am
getting a new motor, I'll make sure that the number of wires are the

same
and that it comes with instructions. I'll certainly make sure the shaft
dimensions are the same as well.

Then he has the "direction" to deal with........LOL

(this thing doesn't blow any air) Hehehehe..

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

George E. Cawthon

kjpro wrote:

"CBHvac" wrote in message
When I disconnected the motor I made sure to write down which wire
represented what speed and where on the board it was connected. When I

am
getting a new motor, I'll make sure that the number of wires are the

same
and that it comes with instructions. I'll certainly make sure the shaft
dimensions are the same as well.

Then he has the "direction" to deal with........LOL

(this thing doesn't blow any air) Hehehehe..

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

Ha. Ha. By this reasoning only professionals should change
wheels on cars-- someone might put the wheel on backward and
with power the vehicle would just spin around. Seriously,
anyone that doesn't know what they are doing, should hire
someone who does, but reading a few books can often provide
all the knowledge anyone needs. Anyone that doesn't have
enough sense to check motor direction before installing,
shouldn't. There are damn few thing I can't do or fix
around my house and I'll do it better and a lot cheaper than
a professional. Those things I don't do because I don't have
the tools or the desire to learn are ac stuff and
complicated electronics in a gas furnace.

David W.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

Ha. Ha. By this reasoning only professionals should change
wheels on cars-- someone might put the wheel on backward and
with power the vehicle would just spin around. Seriously,
anyone that doesn't know what they are doing, should hire
someone who does, but reading a few books can often provide
all the knowledge anyone needs. Anyone that doesn't have
enough sense to check motor direction before installing,
shouldn't. There are damn few thing I can't do or fix
around my house and I'll do it better and a lot cheaper than
a professional. Those things I don't do because I don't have
the tools or the desire to learn are ac stuff and
complicated electronics in a gas furnace.

The problem for most people is, if you don't have the sense to know
something, how do you tell that you don't have it? :-)

My previous house had an old (like, 40 years) Williams 5-in-one furnace. Me
being too cheap to actually replace the unit, I chose to fix things as they
broke. After removing the non-functioning electronic aircleaner, replacing
the already removed by the previous owner humidifier, replacing the
thermostat, blower motor and gas valve (which failed open one night!), the
electronics failed. So, unable to find replacement parts that I was willing
to pay for, I replaced the electronics with some generic off-the-shelf
components. I also learned a lot about how HVAC systems work :-) After a
day or two of fiddling with adjustments, it worked fine for for several
years, and was still there when I sold the house. The new owner will
probably replace the whole system... he seems like that kind of guy grin.

CBHvac

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

kjpro wrote:

"CBHvac" wrote in message
[...]

Humm...no....since a WHEEL, unless its a true directional, in the sense of
pattern, not function, could care less.
A blower wheel, however, DOES care what direction it is turning in.

Seriously,
anyone that doesn't know what they are doing, should hire
someone who does, but reading a few books can often provide
all the knowledge anyone needs. Anyone that doesn't have
enough sense to check motor direction before installing,
shouldn't. There are damn few thing I can't do or fix
around my house and I'll do it better and a lot cheaper than
a professional. Those things I don't do because I don't have
the tools or the desire to learn are ac stuff and
complicated electronics in a gas furnace.

George E. Cawthon

kjpro wrote:

"CBHvac" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I know that was lame, and yes I know that put the
wheel on backwards won't change the direction it turns and
the car won't spin. Hey, it was like all analogies...
imperfect.

CBHvac

"D O G" wrote in message
.net...
When I started the thread, I openly declared that I was incompentent, but

did not agree to also being stupid :-) As of now the job is completed, the
blower has been working perfectly for about 30 hours.

Good deal.

I did not get electricuted, did not break my legs, did not install the
motor/wheel in the wrong direction, did not wire it incorrectly, did not
knock off the wheel's weight. And it was not that hard either, common

sense
and careful approach.

Like I think we all said..

What is actually interesting is that some of the advise I got here may

have
been incorrect. Five motor resellers independently from each other

suggested
a 3 speed GE motor as a replacement to my 4 speed motor. They all told me
that this is what GE recommends as a replacement for my motor and that the
system only uses 2 speeds anyway - one for A/C and the other one for
Furnace.

Not from the two HVAC guys you heard from..or was it 3? No matter...
A little advice for you, file it back...

The guys behind the counter, they dont work in the field. Most could not
install a motor...thats MOST..not all, if you stood over them and told them
what to do.
A 3 speed units fine, but as I think I said before, it MIGHT NOT be what you
need, particularly if the speed that you need is missing. This is why a real
tech, will replace the unit, with that is supposed to be there. It might be
possible to replace it with a 2 speed, but unless you know what the TD and
TR will be after you do this, you can create issues you didnt have before.
I say real tech...sheesh..who am I kidding? We all know that if you take
2000 so called real techs, you got about 100 in the bunch..

I went with their recommendation, the motor cost me $60 (including
capacitor) and so far it's absolutely fine.

Not being an ass, but that you know of. A three speed GE 1/3 HP motor for
60? Good...hope they gave you that cap...
Glad to hear its right, but at some point, you might really want to have a
tech (when he services the unit for winter) run a TR check on it..thats temp
rise btw....nothing fancy...but it can keep you from cracking your heat
exchanger.

Thanks a lot to everybody who responded and provided help, advice and
insight.

George E. Cawthon

D O G wrote:

Maybe the rule
should be that if one hears himself referred to as stupid
fairly often (spouse excluded), then stupid it probably is.

Well, a person who is both stupid and incompetent should not do anything.
But if the person posesses only one of the two qualities, then he has a good
chance of geting the job done.

When I started the thread, I openly declared that I was incompentent, but I
[...]

Didn't mean to imply you were either, just a generalization
to identify someone who shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen
knife. But I disagree with you analysis of success. If you
are either stupid or incompetent, it is unlikely you will
succeed. If you are really stupid, you won't take advice,
you can't learn, think you already know it, and you will
fail. If you are incompetent you just plain can't use the
knowledge you already supposedly have and won't get it right
(at least most of the time it won't be right). Don't equate
stupid with uneducated. The person that doesn't know much
and is willing to learn, particularly if they have a gift
for problem solving and an intuitive understanding will
likely succeed.