Posted to rec.woodworking

Default table saw obsolescence

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:50:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 5:58:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:46:27 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Computer Numeric Control

Depending on what you are using the technology for, it can reasonably
priced or very expensive.

Reasonable:

https://www.amazon.com/Konmison-Mach.../dp/B01EYCQDFU

And THAT machine could not do ANYTHING you would typically do on a
table saw.

Expensive:

https://www.tormach.com/buy_15lslantpro.html

And nor would that one!!.

We are talking about machines like this!!!

No, *you* are talking about machines like that.

I was simply pointing out that CNC machines cover
a large range of uses since Keith wasn't even sure that
the letters CNC stood for what he found during his search.

He said:

"These things are very expensive, and if this definition is
correct out of the budget of the average wood worker.

Could some one provide a definition of CNC as has been used in
this thread?"

There actually are CNC machines for woodworkers that fit
our budgets.

BTW...what's with the 3 exclamation points? Did you
keyboard stutter?

Keith was wondering how CNC applied to the thread.
If I'm not mistaken the "thread" is about (or has morphed to) "cnc
machines" making "table saws" obsolete. None of the "toys" referenced
stand a chance of replacing a table saw for any meaningfull type of
work, if any at all.
An aquaintance has one we used to make a couple of crokinole boards a
couple years ago, and we were pretty well at the limit size wize for
his machine (which is largere than any of those shown). It also did a
good job of making the moldings around the openings (hatches) in a
lake kayak out of oak and teak.
None of these jobs would have been candidates for a table saw