Posted to rec.woodworking

Default table saw obsolescence

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:03:45 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 2/19/2017 11:08 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/15/2017 10:12 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:07:50 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

firmware and lawsuits

the perception of the danger of tables saws
the statistics of tables saw injuries
more and more safety features
while insurance and liability costs can only go up

seems to lead to the conclusion that they are on the way out
fewer and fewer people want to use them

i will always have one i think but

cnc is moving pretty fast and now there are other technologies like
water
jets and ultrasonic cutting

how long until table saws just stop becoming an integral part of the
shop

i give it 15 years or less as cnc moves into the affordable range due to
market saturation and more used machines and cad and cam allowing for
more
streamlined manufacturing of the parts for cnc

consolidation will be first and we see that already
then there will be fewer models available
then there will be fewer brands
then it will become a niche
then the prices will rise
then alternatives will look even better

Now I know you're nuts. ...and a wimp.

Nothing in his message is nuts, nor wimpy? Do you think Leon is wimpy
because he has a Saw Stop?

I think you're nuts and have some bazaar attraction to the Comet..

I have been following this thread and commented early on about a table
saw. My comments were based strictly on the table saw, with little
knowledge of CNC except the perception it was expensive, and more
computer control tool.

Today I searched CNC and was shocked at the price, so think I may have
been mistaken about the actual meaning of the abbreviation.

As I found in my search CNC means "Computer Numeric Control" which is
the language of an automated system of manufacturing. These things are
very expensive, and if this definition is correct out of the budget of
the average wood worker.

Could some one provide a definition of CNC as has been used in this thread?

You hit it solidly square on, on the first try. They are talking
computer nemerical controlled routers in place of a table saw.
I can see it taking the place of a router/template or scroll saw LONG
before it takes the place of a table saw. A 4 or 9 square foot CNC
router is not TERRIBLY prohibitively priced for specialty woodworking,
but a 32-36 square foot unit to handle a full 4X8 is a horse of a
totally different colour!!!.