CBHvac

Default Replacing furnace blower motor

"D O G" wrote in message
.net...
When I started the thread, I openly declared that I was incompentent, but

did not agree to also being stupid :-) As of now the job is completed, the
blower has been working perfectly for about 30 hours.

Good deal.

I did not get electricuted, did not break my legs, did not install the
motor/wheel in the wrong direction, did not wire it incorrectly, did not
knock off the wheel's weight. And it was not that hard either, common

sense
and careful approach.

Like I think we all said..

What is actually interesting is that some of the advise I got here may

have
been incorrect. Five motor resellers independently from each other

suggested
a 3 speed GE motor as a replacement to my 4 speed motor. They all told me
that this is what GE recommends as a replacement for my motor and that the
system only uses 2 speeds anyway - one for A/C and the other one for
Furnace.

Not from the two HVAC guys you heard from..or was it 3? No matter...
A little advice for you, file it back...

The guys behind the counter, they dont work in the field. Most could not
install a motor...thats MOST..not all, if you stood over them and told them
what to do.
A 3 speed units fine, but as I think I said before, it MIGHT NOT be what you
need, particularly if the speed that you need is missing. This is why a real
tech, will replace the unit, with that is supposed to be there. It might be
possible to replace it with a 2 speed, but unless you know what the TD and
TR will be after you do this, you can create issues you didnt have before.
I say real tech...sheesh..who am I kidding? We all know that if you take
2000 so called real techs, you got about 100 in the bunch..

I went with their recommendation, the motor cost me $60 (including
capacitor) and so far it's absolutely fine.

Not being an ass, but that you know of. A three speed GE 1/3 HP motor for
60? Good...hope they gave you that cap...
Glad to hear its right, but at some point, you might really want to have a
tech (when he services the unit for winter) run a TR check on it..thats temp
rise btw....nothing fancy...but it can keep you from cracking your heat
exchanger.

Thanks a lot to everybody who responded and provided help, advice and
insight.