George E. Cawthon

Default Contractor has to see you AND the wife????

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:10:39 -0500,
(Pat Kiewicz)
wrote:

If he had a contract with both, he could have been in better position to
enforce the contract (with the wage earning half) and/or put a lien on the
joint asset (house). He couldn't do this with only one signature. (I rather
think his lawyer strongly recommended he have both people sign in for any
future contracts.)

The problem revolved around the fact that the house became embroiled
in the marital litigation and regardless of how many signatures he had
the problem would not go away - as you already said :

"... The house and everything to do with it went into legal limbo --
and it nearly wiped out his fledgling business....."

The implication you are making is that the "contract" as being among
the things that went with it, would also be lost in the tangled web of
the separation/divorce. If anything any action he could take to
recover on the contract would possibly also involve protracted
litigation to get it pulled out of the mess they had created for
themselves.

Well you hear all sort of things, but I mostly heard that
the guy with the construction lien (he did put a lien on the
property) would have to be satisfied first. But anything is
possible.......