Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how do I remove a B16 tapered chuck from its mandrel?

On 14/02/2017 22:20, Duncan DiSaudelli wrote:
+ chuck isolated, so I wondered if anyone could please suggest a trick
or two which might free the chuck in situ?

Those are some excellent suggestions, and the idea of a hollow spindle
is an encouraging thought to say the least! I shall look into it
tomorrow night and we'll see what happens next (apart from the usual
minor injury and frustration, I mean) when I try these various and good
ideas.

Thanks all!

I'd be inclined to wind some tension into it by passing a bolt up
through the table and clamping the threaded end in the chuck. Then raise
the chuck with the winding handle and then, once you have some tension
in it, give it a smart tap on the side with a hammer.

Works pretty well for breaking the taper on car steering ball joints.
--
Cheers,
Roger