Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default how do I remove a B16 tapered chuck from its mandrel?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 22:20:13 +0000, Duncan DiSaudelli wrote:

Those are some excellent suggestions, and the idea of a hollow spindle
is an encouraging thought to say the least! I shall look into it
tomorrow night and we'll see what happens next (apart from the usual
minor injury and frustration, I mean) when I try these various and good
ideas.

I have had the opposite problem: the chuck keeps falling off its taper.

It was when I used (abused?) the chuck to hold polishing wheels. The side loads
coming from well below the chuck work the taper loose... (I cleaned it well
with emery cloth, and smacked it into place, and may have helped it along with
Loctite. It still comes off every so often, but not enough to be trouble.

This was a cheap polishing set, to be held in a drill chuck, with one felt wheel
and one sewn, and coarse and fine compounds, similar to:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Buffing+%26+Polishing/sd2694/Polishing+Set/p58727

So if you were use it for polishing, you may find the chuck drops off after a
while...

Thomas Prufer