Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On 2/12/2017 12:45 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:54:04 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I mentioned the recyclable trash bags that the City of Houlston
requires for yard waste. they are patented and required by the
city if you are going to throw away yard waste.

While not a vehicle component it is an example of a product that
has to be used with the city's approval code, if you are going to
throw yard refuse away.

I guess the refuse bags sort of, kind of meet what I was asking.
Although I doubt plastic bags are patented. They are specifically
marked for Houston use. But anyone could make a similar bag out of
petroleum and put the same markings on the bag and sell it for refuse
use in Houston.

Well a reasonable person would assume that. IIRC the bags had a patent
pending number, had a seal, Approved by the city of Houston. There
were/are several other heavier/thicker mil recycleable refuse bags
available and much less expensive. But if you used those bags a warning
label was attached and the bag was not picked up.
The really unfortunate thing about the city of Housotn bags was that
they were so thin that the humidity/condensation would cause them to
begin melting from sitting out for just one one night and totally forget
it it rained. And of course those that failed because of the moisture
were left for the home owner to clean up.

And I suspect other landfills in your area or
another county will accept yard waste without the specific Houston
bag.

Absolutely, I live out side of the Houston city limits NOW and simply
dump the grass in a 45 gas 4 mil contractors bag and put it in with the
regular trash container.

I'm guessing the bags are required only if you want the city of
Houston to pick up the waste from your curb. You are buying their
service and are required to use their procedures.

The city does not care which bag you use for normal trash, they want
yard waste to be handled separately for recycling purposes. If you live
in the city limits you have no separate bill for trash pick up.
And no really had a problem with that except for the more expensive,
smaller, and thinner bags you had to use.

When I buy my
cable TV I have to use their receiver box.

And I can understand that, but you have a "reasonable" choice to use
cable or another service. No other trash pick up service is offered and
you get no credit for taking trash to the dump yourself.

With waste pickup its
built into the water bill you get each month so not really a choice.

Exactly

In my city for picking up Christmas trees on the curb you have to buy
a special ribbon and tie it onto the tree for the city workers to
pick up the tree.

And I would have no problem with that as it is only once a year and the
ribbon does not fail more than 50% of the time.

The yard waste bags, specific to Houston, was something that happen just
before the mayor left office and his fingers along with a cloud of
suspicion were associated.

There was no reason in the world that better bags could not be used.

To give a fair comparison, you mentioned cable. The cable company makes
you use their box, the only one they offer you is the lowest quality and
at a premium price. Your neighbor across the street gets the better
quality box at a reduced price.