Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default A tip for lubricating you clamps.

On 2/11/2017 11:56 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 10:14:13 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I guess some of us use our clamps more than others. ;~)

But Leon... think of the great OSHA/science information you got from
a comment on clamps! I was surprised though, that the engine left
the track the second post after yours...

LOL..... A well thought out post brings the possibility of many tangents.

I knew about the compression withing the clamp head and its grinding
feel after use.

I had no doubt that you would already know this.

I was told back in the mid 70s (when the whole shop
had something like 10 Pony pipe clamps!)to put a drop or two of "3 in
1" just where the clamp screw rotates in the clamp face. it was
explained to me that the heavy clamping pressure could/would gall the
inside of the contact surfaces and make them have that grinding
feeling when compressing. About every 4 or 5 glue ups we would hand
the pipes on a boards and apply the oil. We used those clamps for
everything. Remember a day with no Besseys, no cabinet clamps like
we know them today. I still have some 50 year old Pony clamps and
even have two ancient bar clamps from the 1920s. The Pony clamps are
used on occasion, but the bar clamps are bent and are more of a
curiosity.

Strangely, I hadn't thought of it, but your comment hit home. I
rarely use clamps anymore. My squeeze clamps are in constant use for
all manner of things, sometimes just an extra set of holding hands.
But my Besseys, my old Irwins, my no name aluminum bar clamps, and my
Stanley brand pipe clamps and Ponys haven't been touched in a really
long time.

I do appreciate the comment on the wood Jorgensons. I have watched
mine "relax" more than once, and gave all but one or two away since I
thought they were defective! I thought the dirty threads would make
them stick more, but if you think about it, the dirt probably acted
more as a lubricant, keeping the friction quotient too low for them
to work properly. That's a good tip!

Robert