Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:22:43 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Just google "abs problems".
I've had sensors fail. I've had reluctor wheels split and spin, split
and jam, and split and fall off. I've had them rust, and I've had them
fill with crud between the teeth - all rendering them inneffective.
I've had wires break and connections corrode.. I've had to replace
very expensive wheel bearing assemblies because the sensor built into
them failed.

What do you _do_ to the poor things? The only
ABS maintenance my Jeep has needed in 20 years
was having one cable replaced after it got
snagged on something or other and got physically
ripped off.

I FIX the damned things.

I've had the actuators fail in Myriad different modes, including a
piston unwinding right off the actuator screw, activators seizing, and
pump motors (in the activator) burning out. Activator failures are
very hard to diagnose - in many of the cases no warning lights came on
- the ABS just stopped working -often along with one half of the
braking system. On the one with the spun off system I could even bleed
the brakes, but could never get any pressure - to the point a leaky
line didn't even show up untill the activator was replaced..
I've had them so sensitive that replacing a damaged tire with a new
one after about 10,000km threw the system into a fit, and in much of
our winter driving conditions it is virtually impossible to stop with
quite a few vehicles with ABS (particularly with OEM wide tires
installed - (even all season or snow tires). All ABS does in those
situations is make sure you hit what you hit square on.

Benz basically put their patent "into the public domain" because they
knew there were so many ways to re-engineer the system to get around
their patent that they would spend millions ineffectively trying to
defend the patent - due in part to the prior state of the science
which rendered the patent almost undefendable. It had all been done,
in one way or another, by someone else before them.
Their releasing the patent just made it a lot simpler for everyone
else yto move ahead without worrying about patent infringement suites
like the old Selden Patent fiasco.

Uh, huh, right. So there was not one iotia of
altruism involved, in your opinion.

Absolutely convinced. Have you ever had to deal with Mercedes Benz???