Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default A tip for lubricating you clamps.

On 2/11/2017 9:06 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 2/7/17 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:

On most all of these K-body style clamps and the clones the part you
need to apply oil is partially hidden and out of site.

You also need to oil the end of the screw where it is riveted onto the
steel washer that delivers all of the clamping force. There is
tremendous friction at that connection and a drop or two of oil
instantly decreases the effort needed to tighten the clamp.

Amen!

I have/had the same problem, thought the threads were galling in the
clamp. Grease helped but not as much as I had hoped.

A few drops of oil with a swamp cooler oiler did the trick. The oilers
long plastic tube reaches to the area where the ball of the screw enters
into the "foot".

-BR

I guess some of us use our clamps more than others. ;~)