Posted to alt.home.repair
burfordTjustice burfordTjustice is offline

Default Sharing roof vent between two bathroom fans

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 05:13:36 -0800 (PST)
N8N wrote:

Hi all

got an issue at a friend's rented house

I helped move her in and noticed that neither bathroom vent fan was
actually vented to outside, just output loose in attic

a few weeks ago a bad storm damaged the roof and I told her to
mention to landlord that this would be a great opportunity to correct
the bathroom fan venting, he thanked her for the suggestion and said
that it'd be taken care of

well his "handyman" is an idiot. Apparently there was an abandoned
4" roof vent about 7-8' away from the large bathroom's fan, instead
of recutting the hole in the ply that had been scabbed over in a
previous roof replacement and hooking the bath vent up there he got
some 4" flex duct and ran it all the way to the abandoned vent. He
didn't do a thing to the small master bedroom's fan, it is still
unvented. The whole mess is not held together with proper
transitions or clamps, it's all duct tape and fail. What a ****ing
hack job.

At this point I see that the handyman is cutting corners wherever the
owner isn't cognizant of what a proper job should look like and that
this job is probably never going to get done properly. I know the
*right* way to do it is to get up on the roof and install a new vent
but I don't want to cause friction. At the same time I don't like
the potential for mold and mildew that the current arrangement
creates.

What I'm thinking of doing is just not talking to the guy and getting
some proper 3" flex duct, and a 2x3" to single 4" y adapter and
hooking things up that way. It'll still look like a knot in a
canine's genitalia but at least both fans would be vented to the
outside.

Questions: would this meet code? Is there any downside to doing it
this way other than being ugly and messing up the attic space?

thanks!

nate

Sounds like you are a busy body butting into others business
with out the knowledge or skills to know what is correct.