Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default Back in business

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 06:08:06 -0800 (PST)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

As for the headstock on the larger Rikon's reversing, the 70-450's
does. The 70-500 does not. Having had a lathe with a rotating
headstock, and now one that does not, I much prefer the non-rotating
model, for the simple reason that is its more stable.

Reversing is good and I like the feature. But it would not be at the
top of my list of things I just had to have on a lathe.

i think there is a mix up of two things into one

was wondering if turning the tear out section with the lathe motor
in reverse would provide a solution

attack the grain in the opposite direction

a moving headstock makes a lot of sense but it has to have a solid
attachment mechanism or it would be no good as you pointed out

but anytime hardware is implemented poorly it is essentially no good