Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Back in business

About six months, or so, ago, I bought a used Woodfast M910 lathe and got the monster (to me) moved into my shop, setup and balanced. Worked great and I was thoroughly pleased. Then I realized there was an outboard turning attachment for it and that I could order it from Rikon (fits their 70-500). So, being someone who just has to finish what he started, I ordered the attachment and drilled the holes to mount it. Discovered it would stick out into the walkway and I really did not want to hit that 40lb of cast iron with my knee.

So, I decided to rearrange my shop, which entailed moving the lathe, ripping out existing benches and cabinets and building a new 8' base cabinet with 16drawers and two shelves. I figured I would be finished with the referb by the 7th of January. It took longer than I thought and cost more than I had planned (but still managed to keep costs somewhat down). Part of that was the weather and part health issues on my part.

Yesterday, I finished the first bowl turned on the new setup. The setup worked better than I thought it would and the bowl was passable. The blank was a 16"chunk of heavily spalted pecan, which made it impossible to balance - thank God for the variable speed. I said it turned out passable because I could not get the bottom of the bowl smooth as a baby's butt, because of the tearout due to the spalting. I did soak it in Minwax Wood Hardner, but that caused it to pick up two new splits, which I filled with epoxy and Bright Penny Copper, saving the bowl.

All in all, I am pleased with the bowl and very pleased with the new setup.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

It is nice to have a new toy. I agree with you about the variable
speed. What is the max size over the bed?

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2017-02-07 4:43 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I said it turned out passable because I could not get the bottom of the
bowl smooth as a baby's butt, because of the tearout due to the
spalting. I did soak it in Minwax Wood Hardner, but that caused it to
pick up two new splits, which I filled with epoxy and Bright Penny
Copper, saving the bowl.

If I have excessive tear out, I coat the piece with a thin, penetrating
epoxy. Of course, that adds a day to the process while it cures
thoroughly, but I'm not a professional.
I have used the stuff sold by Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42997

I just bought the liquid replacement rather than the whole kit when I
had to repair a short section of fascia that had rotted but not yet
disintegrated. It worked a treat!
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 03:43:38 -0800 (PST)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

what he started, I ordered the attachment and drilled the holes to
mount it. Discovered it would stick out into the walkway and I
really did not want to hit that 40lb of cast iron with my knee.

makes sense

now i thought the larger rikons had a moving headstock
but maybe that is only the late models

So, I decided to rearrange my shop, which entailed moving the lathe,
ripping out existing benches and cabinets and building a new 8' base
cabinet with 16drawers and two shelves. I figured I would be
finished with the referb by the 7th of January. It took longer than

sounds ambitious

Yesterday, I finished the first bowl turned on the new setup. The
setup worked better than I thought it would and the bowl was
passable. The blank was a 16"chunk of heavily spalted pecan, which
made it impossible to balance - thank God for the variable speed. I
said it turned out passable because I could not get the bottom of the
bowl smooth as a baby's butt, because of the tearout due to the

i recall the first time i encountered tear out with some found wood
that had been at sea for a long time

never could fix it on the lathe so i put sandpaper to it because i had
no choice really

started very coarse like 40 or 50 than worked my way up

it came out suitably but not museum quality

do wonder if reversing the lathe and turning the tear out section would
be a solution

my lathe does not reverse

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 2:10:03 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

Part of the problem here was that I did not notice just how uneven the area was, until I had the finish on it and it out of the chuck. Had I seen it, I would have gotten my ros and cleaned it up. But c'est le gar.

As for the headstock on the larger Rikon's reversing, the 70-450's does. The 70-500 does not. Having had a lathe with a rotating headstock, and now one that does not, I much prefer the non-rotating model, for the simple reason that is its more stable.

Reversing is good and I like the feature. But it would not be at the top of my list of things I just had to have on a lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 06:08:06 -0800 (PST)
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

As for the headstock on the larger Rikon's reversing, the 70-450's
does. The 70-500 does not. Having had a lathe with a rotating
headstock, and now one that does not, I much prefer the non-rotating
model, for the simple reason that is its more stable.

Reversing is good and I like the feature. But it would not be at the
top of my list of things I just had to have on a lathe.

i think there is a mix up of two things into one

was wondering if turning the tear out section with the lathe motor
in reverse would provide a solution

attack the grain in the opposite direction

a moving headstock makes a lot of sense but it has to have a solid
attachment mechanism or it would be no good as you pointed out

but anytime hardware is implemented poorly it is essentially no good

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 06:08:06 -0800, Dr. Deb wrote:

Having had a lathe with a rotating headstock, and now one that does not,
I much prefer the non-rotating model, for the simple reason that is its
more stable.

I've got the little General and the headstock both rotates and slides. I
have not noticed any instability.

--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 1:33:51 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 06:08:06 -0800 (PST)

As for the headstock on the larger Rikon's reversing, the 70-450's
does. The 70-500 does not. Having had a lathe with a rotating
headstock, and now one that does not, I much prefer the non-rotating
model, for the simple reason that is its more stable.

Reversing is good and I like the feature. But it would not be at the
top of my list of things I just had to have on a lathe.

i think there is a mix up of two things into one

was wondering if turning the tear out section with the lathe motor
in reverse would provide a solution

attack the grain in the opposite direction

a moving headstock makes a lot of sense but it has to have a solid
attachment mechanism or it would be no good as you pointed out

but anytime hardware is implemented poorly it is essentially no good

Turning in reverse would be "fun" unless you can stand on the backside of the lathe, or have a outboard setup. Mine has both, but something I did not find out until yesterday is that the outboard setup is not the same as it is on the newer versions of the Woodfast M910. Way back in 1998. when this lathe was made, they put a 1x8 LEFT had thread on the handwheel. The newer models have an 1 1/4 x 8 (same as inboard) RIGHT had thread with a setscrew. Fortunately, I have a local machine shop owner who does little jobs for me, from time to time. He is making an adapter to convert the left hand thread to right hand thread (like the ones what convert from 1x8 to 1 1/4 x8) and it should be ready in a couple of days. Then the entire project will be completed and I can actually turn outboard. In fact I have a small project waiting on that adapter.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

I use reversing during sanding. Some woods have a grain that tries to
"fuzz up" on sanding. I reverse sand every other piece of sandpaper
to take care of this.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 11:01:20 AM UTC-6, G. Ross wrote:
Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

For sanding, the capability to reverse is huge. As you said, you can get rid of all those nasty fuzzies that just folded over when you were cutting and sanding. I like to alternate directions as I alternate grits.